1. Tell us about your community in 50 words or less.
Our Congregation of the Little Sisters of the Poor was founded in France in 1839 by Jeanne Jugan, canonized in 2009.Continuing the work of Saint Jeanne Jugan, our
is to offer the neediest elderly of every race and religion a home where they will be welcomed as Christ, cared for as family and accompanied with dignity until God calls them to himself.
2. What do you like to do for fun?
I love the outdoors – walking or sitting – being in touch with nature is one of the ways I feel connected with God – this activity relaxes me.I also love to play cards with the Sisters – we play pinochle.Movies are a lot of fun.I enjoy watching movies with my community.
3. What were you doing before becoming your community’s vocation director?
I have always been taking direct care of the elderly - as a matter of fact, I am still a Unit Supervisor of one of our Nursing floor.
4. What are two books you have read recently?
World’s Tallest Woman (Giantess of Shelbyville High)
Life of Sister Blandina Segale, Sister of Charity of Cincinnati
(cause is in the process of being introducedfor canonization)
5. Where did you grow up?
I grew up in Manila, Philippines
6. Tell us about your family.
My paternal Grandfather left China for the Philippines to build a better future for his family.Once his business was established, he sent for his family.My Dad was 18 years old, the eldest of 5 boys.My Mom was born in the Philippines of Chinese parents.Our family and extended family grew up in the Philippines amidst 2 cultures – Filipino & Chinese cultures.Our mother tongue is Chinese.We learned 3 languages from the time we learned how to speak – a Chinese dialect, Mandarin, Filipino language and English.Spanish was added in school.
7. What is your favorite part of your present ministry in vocations ministry?
Connecting with the young Church.They generate a lot of energy and excites me to be who I am.Gives me a lot of hope in the future.
8. What do you like most about being Catholic?
I am proud to belong to a Church that is not afraid to speak the truth and take a moral stand, even if it is not popular or politically correct.
9. What are the top 3 things on your bucket list?
Pilgrimage to Lourdes, go to Alaska to see a Polar Bear and watch an Iditarod race.
10. If you could choose any superpower to have, what would it be?
To convert hearts to Christ
11. Where would we find you on a Saturday morning?
At St. Augustine Home taking care of the Residents.